Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Puppy Love

I am feeling a little like the crazy dog owner but wanted to share a few stories about Puppy with you! I never realized how different it would be to have a dog here than it was in the States. Plus this is really my first pet that is completely mine since the other dogs I have had were at my parents' house. Along with worrying about his nutrition since I have to cook him dinner (even when I am sick or tired), I also am very concerned about his health. Luckily my aunt who is a vet in Minneapolis has provided me with lots of advice and meds! Then there is the concerns about him getting hurt. Dogs are mean here since they are usually for guards so I am worried about him getting beat up by a bigger dog. Also am worried about him chasing (and possibly killing) a chicken in which case the chicken's owner will probably kill Puppy. I have heard this is a very possible response in this situation. On the other hand, I have seen several chickens and roosters try to attack him when he gets to close to them or their babies. He still isn't afraid of them though.

His biggest fear is of goats and sheep. I didn't think they would ever hurt him though they do like to approach and stare at him which freaks him out and he tries to run away or hide behind me. That was until last week when we had an unfortunate event with a goat! Puppy woke me up one night last week at 3 am to go potty. I had been sick and not sleeping well so was very frustrated but took him out anyways. Often at night there are goats and sheep resting just outside my door but this night one goat didn't run away like they usually do when I get close. Instead she charged and started attacking Puppy. I kicked at her and tried to get Puppy free. He started screaming and woke up the whole family! I finally was able to pick him up and the goat ran away. Several young men came out to see what the matter was. Since it was the middle of the night in hot season, I was in my pajamas of a tank top and shorts (ie not properly covered for village) so really didn't want to be seen! Anyways turns out the goat had just given birth so was being a protective mother. Somehow in the process of fighting her off Puppy I ended up with placenta all over my leg. Only in Burkina!

I am trying to teach Puppy a few commands and decided to use Bissa instead of English. Everyone cracks up when I speak to a dog in any language, let alone Bissa so I enjoy continuing to make villagers think I am crazy. He is getting pretty good at come (burnow), sit (nyinta), and go home (parro) -- at least when nothing more exciting is going on!

I have added pictures to Village Life, Puppy, Workshops & Events, Family, PC Home. I also took a few short videos that I want to try to upload but haven't had time to do yet. Hopefully coming soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kirstin,

I almost died laughing at the placenta on your leg part. Your puppy is ADORABLE!!

Love,

Jenni from Madison